Emily Compton is a Licensed Professional Counselor Associate in North Carolina. She obtained her Bachelor’s degree in Communications from North Carolina State University and her Master’s degree in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
During her graduate training, Emily completed a clinical internship at UNC Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders, where she had experience providing individual and group therapy for patients with eating disorders across multiple levels of care including inpatient, partial hospitalization, and outpatient treatment settings. Throughout graduate school, Emily conducted research on family based therapy and including a psychoeducational component for caregivers of the individuals in treatment. Emily strongly believes in providing additional education for the caregivers to help aid in recovery and prevent relapse upon discharge from treatment.
Emily is passionate about working with children, teens, and adults who have eating disorders. She has an eclectic therapeutic style and pulls from a variety of evidence-based practices including dialectical behavior therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, and family based therapy. Upon graduating from graduate school, Emily began working with individuals who have a diagnosis of depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and various psychotic disorders. Emily has also worked with individuals who have physical and developmental disabilities and their families. Emily believes in a collaborative and strengths-based approach to treatment and enjoys helping patients to describe their experiences in a unique and non-judgmental manner as they move toward recovery.
- Graduated from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2015) with a Master’s of Science in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling
- Graduated from North Carolina State University (2006) with a Bachelor of Arts in Public and Interpersonal Communications
- Licensed Professional Counselor Associate (2016)
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (2015)
- Emily sees adults and teens, as well as children, ages 8 and up.
Emily accepts the following types of payment and health Insurance:
- Private Payment (cash, check, credit card)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (except Blue Value)